Anyway, I have been wrangled into a food trend -- actually, multiple food trends for this recipe. And I am happy of myself.
This week we tried spaghetti squash. There hasn't been much pasta action in our house recently and I was getting antsy about it. It is so easy to prepare and can most certainly make it onto any week night menu rotation. We enjoyed our spaghetti squash with chicken and avocado pesto, based on a recipe from Sweet Dreaming.
Here's what you'll need...
1 2 - 2.5 lb spaghetti squash
4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
15-20 basil leaves
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese for garnish
Let's get started...
1. Puncture several slits into your spaghetti squash.
2. Place in a microwave save dish and microwave on high for about 4 minutes per pound, rotating halfway through the cook time.
6. As your squash rests, cook chicken in oil as desired.
7. When the squash is cool enough to handle, cut off the top and slice it long ways in half.
9. Comb through the strands to remove any remaining seeds.
I was concerned that this would not be filling, but it certainly was and could easily replace pasta for a time. We will be trying it with other sauces, tomato and cheese based. We may even try a cold rendition as part of a pasta salad. The possibilities for this trendy vegetable are limitless.