Let's pick up where we left off because it is still cold outside and I know you are in need of some warm chili recipes. We will get back to holiday chit-chat and New Year's resolutions later. So far in this year's Great Chili Cookoff, we've tried:
Pumpkin Chicken Chili
Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
And now we are going to enjoy Turkey Apple Chili.
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 (4 oz.) can diced jalapeños
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 lb lean ground turkey
4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 green apples,unpeeled, cored and diced
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup applesauce
Let's get started....
1. Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot.
2. Add turkey, onions, peppers, and garlic and toss until cooked through about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in spices thoroughly.
4. Mix in apples, beans, tomatoes, and applesauce.
5. Stir as the chili comes to a boil, then reduce heat.
6. Cook for about 15 minutes until apples are soft.
7. Serve with sour cream and feta cheese.
Delicious, the soft apples add a sweetness to the kick in the tomato chili. Feta cheese with sweet and tart fruit is one of my favorite pairings. Enjoy!