Let's break this down -- we are getting fruits and vegetables in a cake and we can frost it as a stylistic mess to resemble a fall caramel apple. Perfection.
Based on a recipe from Southern Living.
Here's what you'll need...
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp apple pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
3/4 vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 peeled and grated Granny Smith apples
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
Apple Caramel Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
Let's get started...
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
3. Sift together flour, apple pie spice, salt, baking soda, and sugar.
4. Beat together eggs, oil, butter milk, and vanilla.
5. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Fold in apples and carrots. Stir until well blended.
9. Place second layer, pecan side down, atop first layer. Spread cream cheese frosting and allow excess to ooze down sides of cake. Top with pecans or walnuts for decoration.
But in any case, go make this cake. Happy fall to you!