Head in the game, focus. Let's make some butternut squash chili. I adapted another Pinterest find to prepare this one. Many of the adaptations resulted from a second unsuccessful shopping trip this week.
For the Chili:
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash (less than 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin [yeah, you know that wasn't in there]
- 1/2+ tablespoon chopped chipotle in adobo (start with 1/2 tablespoon and add more to taste, I thought mine was just right with 1 tablespoon) [I couldn't find chipotle in the grocery store either]
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 14-ounce canned diced tomatoes, including the liquid
- 2 cans rinsed and drained black beans
- 1 can green chilis
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 avocado diced
- sour cream [fat-free]
- blue cheese
6. Pour chili over rice generously. Top with dollop of sour cream and garnish with avocado and blue cheese.
Our next recipe will be a chili mac n' cheese -- in the next few weeks we will explore a pork, specialty chicken, and traditional beef chili. Suggestions are welcome...what's your favorite chili recipe?