This recipe is pulling as close as we are going to get to dumping everything in a bowl and then being done. And the end result is very chocolatey.
Here's what you'll need...
2 large eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (instead of using vegetable oil)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1 2/3 cups flour
2 cups grated, peeled zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips
Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting
Let's get started...
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and 8 x 4-1/2" loaf pan. Set aside.
5. Once thoroughly combined, add the zucchini and chocolate chips to the mixture. Mix until batter is pourable.
7. Bake for 75 minutes or until a fork comes out of the center clean.
9. Drizzle frosting over top of the cake and cut into slices once frosting has hardened.
This cake is heavy and dark. It lives up to its name. If you have lots of zucchini, but find this dessert to rich for summertime, slice and freeze a loaf to enjoy on a crisp fall evening.